The edifice is popular as the seat of the cult of Saint Lucy of Syracuse, whose remains are housed inside. […]The church is object of pilgrimages and wide devotion for the
presence of the relics of Saint Lucy, which were carried here in 1861
when the nearby church dedicated to her was demolished. In 1955 Angelo
Roncalli, future Pope John XXIII and then Patriarch of Venice, had a
silver mask put on the saint’s face to protect it from dust. The saint’s body was stolen on July 7, 1981, but was restored in December of the same year without any ransom.
The Crucifix can be seen at 26 seconds here:
Video of the damage and description of attack in Italian: